forest of deanweb Deanweb's Forest of Dean site

 

 

 




YOUR FOREST OF DEAN WEBSITE


                                 Cinderford
 
                     Home


                  Coleford


                  Lydney


                  Cinderford


                  Local History


Dave Harvey Sculpture



To emphasise and celebrate its mining heritage, the centre of Cinderford, called The Triangle, has this remarkable statue of local miner and poet, Dave Harvey. Its by sculptor Antony Dufort.


Cinderford is a small town on the eastern fringe of the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, England. A population of 8,116 people was recorded in the 2001 census.

Cinderford grew up at the point where the Littledean to Coleford Road crossed Bideford Brook (known also as Cinderford or Soudley Brook). The name Cinderford, in early times spelled 'Synderford', dates back to 1258.

The town itself is relatively young, coming into existence in the 19th century, following the rapid expansion of the local iron and coal industries.Today it is home to a wide variety of light and heavy industry.

Cinderford ironworks

A coke-fired iron furnace was first established in around 1797. It was situated 800 metres north ofcinderford ironworks Cinderford bridge and used coke brought from Broadmoor, to the north, by a short canal. It, however, struggled to compete with furnaces elsewhere, and fell idle ten years later.

It was revived in 1829 when new works on the old site were established by the Forest of Dean Iron Company. In 1841 there were three furnaces producing 12,000 tons of iron a year and employing 100 men and boys. Only one furnace at the works was in blast in 1890 and it closed in 1894.

By the 1840s Cinderford had a number of foundries and small engineering firms supplying the mining industry with machine parts, and it remained a centre for metal industries in the early 20th century.

For many years coal mining was the principal industry in the area. Lightmoor coal mine was deepened in the late 1830s. (see History) Trafalgar colliery when in production in 1860, was the only large mine in the coalfield run by free miners in the later 19th century. It closed in 1925. A deep mine, called Northern United, was began north-west of Cinderford in 1933, but Lightmoor, with a workforce of 600 in 1934, was the main colliery in the Cinderford area until it closed in 1940. There were still many smaller collieries in the Forest of Dean, employing 84.5 per cent of the adult male population in the Cinderford area, until the industry declined in the 1960s.

 



The Railway System in 1911



 

Cinderford Street Map



 







contact us at   deanweb@talktalk.net

 

Dennis Potter History Magic & Witchcraft Warren James
Family History HOOF Metal Detectors Witchcraft
Forest Books Local History Mining History Woolaston
Forest War Heroes Lydney Park Tolkien Woolaston History
County Police History FOD Police History Blakeney Ruardean History
Horlicks Scowles Hamlet Civil War Dean  Parkend
Bream      

 

 

fz\aXZ\SA    XZ